HMRC – Large Business


Aggregates Levy

Companies that exploit or import natural resources such as sand, rock and stone will need to pay UK taxes on the resource. Phone the Aggregates Levy on their general enquiries helpline 0300 200 3700 for further information and advice on this environmental tax.

lines are open from 8 am – 6 pm, Monday to Friday

Reasons to contact the Aggregates Levy helpline include:

  • to find out if you are eligible for a tax exemption
  • how much you will need to pay per tonne of raw material that you have dug or dredged
  • to find out if tax should be paid on a material that you import into the UK

If you are looking for information on the procedure for paying tax and filling in returns on this tax, then you should call the number, below:

Registration, payments and returns – 03000 592 688 Lines open 8 am – 5 pm, Monday to friday.

Air Passenger Duty

Air Passenger Duty was introduced in 1994 to off-set the costs to the UK Government of raising awareness about and dealing with environmental damage caused by the commercial airline industry. This tax is paid by the passengers to the airlines when they book a flight, but ultimately the individual airline has to deal with re-distributing the tax to the UK Government and raising awareness about the nature, purpose and price of Air Passenger Duty.

If you work for or represent an airline and would like to find out more about the nature of this tax and how or who to pay it to, the call the number, below. You may also call this number to:

  • Enquire about the Occasional Operator Scheme
  • Find out about how to pay this tax to HMRC
  • Keep up to date with any changes in rates or policy

Air Passenger Duty General Enquiries Number – 03000 533 575

This line is open from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

Alcohol and Tobacco Warehousing

Contact the HMRC to find out about regulations for companies who store, or would like to store, alcohol or tobacco in warehouses in the United Kingdom. You can also use the telephone number, below, to apply for a license to store alcohol or tobacco in your warehouse.

HMRC Alcohol and Tobacco Warehousing Helpline – 0300 200 3701

You can also phone this number if you would like to:

  • Organise payment of any taxes that may be due
  • Apply for a W1 Excise Warehouse return, a W5 or W6 Remittance Warrant or a W5D or W6D Deferrment Warrant
  • Find out about applying for a Government Gateway account
  • Assistance in using the ATWD
  • To find out when your tax is due

This number is available between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday

Alcohol Duties Payments

Alcohol duty is a business tax paid on the production on alcohol products including beer, wine, lager, cider, wine and spirits. If you would like to find out more about this tax or to apply for a license to produce alcohol product then you should call the HRMC on:

Alcohol Duty Helpline – 03000 592 688

You can also contact HMRC on this phone number to:

  • Find out what your tax band is and when your tax is due
  • Discover more about your payment options, including deferred payments
  • To get a reference number for your alcohol duty
  • to pay your duty over the phone

The alcohol duty helpline is open from 8.30 am to 4 pm, Monday to Friday

Construction Industry Scheme

Contact the HMRC to find out if your company qualifies for the Construction Industry Scheme or if you need more information about how the scheme works.

HMRC Construction Industry Scheme Phone Number – 0300 200 3210

Creative Industry Tax Relief

Call the Creative Industry Tax Relief helpline to find out if your company are eligible for tax breaks or to find out how to pass the ‘cultural test’ which is required before you can get the necessary certification to qualify. If you are already paying tax you can also contact the HRMC before filing your annual tax return to check if your application for relief is successful.

HMRC Creative Tax Relief Helpline – 03000 510 191

You can also call this number to:

  • Find out about any changes to UK Government policy regarding Creative Industry Tax Relief
  • Discover what Government support is available to support your company with losses on a project
  • Get advice about tax returns

Lines are open between 8am and 4pm, Monday to friday

Gambling Duties

Gambling duties are a tax collected by the HMRC on profits made by companies through general betting, remote gaming, bingo or pool betting. Contact the HMRC Gambling Duty helpline with any enquiries you may have about the rate or the process of payment. As long as you have a Gambling Duty reference number they will be able to help you with any enquiry you may have or will be able to recieve a payment over the phone.

The Gambling Duty helpline can also help you with:

  • Submitting your RGD tax returns
  • Applying for a Gambling Duty reference number

The Gambling Duty Helpline – 0300 200 3700

Lines are open from 8 am to 6 pm, Monday to Friday


Landfill Tax

Owners who use their land as a landfill site or rent it for this purpose to someone else are are obliged to pay landfill tax to HMRC. Therefore if you intend to use your land to dispose of waste then you should contact the HMRC to let them know the exact details of your plans. This can be done by telephone by calling the HMRC Landfill Tax general enquiries phone number.

Landfill Tax General Enquiries number – 0300 200 3700 This number is open from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday

HMRC also operate a registration, payments and returns telephone line, which you can use for assistance in registering for, paying your Land Tax, or help in filling in your tax return.

Registration, Payments and Returns Telephone Line – 03000 592 688 This number is open from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm


Large Business Oil and Gas

To become a registered dealer in controlled oils is a long and exhaustive process due to the environmental implications and complicated nature of this work. Therefore in January, 2016 the Government released Excise Notice 192, which clarifies the process for paying taxes on this trade and details the process for becoming a registered company. The document also gives details of several improtant and useful telephone numbers, which can be used to contact HMRC about important matters.

Before you do any type of business in contolled oils you must first become a Registered Dealer in Controlled Oils. To apply for this status you should call – 0300 200 3700. This number can also be used as a first point of call if you have any enquiries regarding your annual returns.

If you ceased to be a Registered Dealer in Controlled Oils – for whatever reason – but still need to dispose of a controlled oil then you should call the helpline – 0300 200 3700.

Customers who suspect fraud should call the Customs Hotline on 0800 595 000 to report their concerns.


Northern Ireland Corporate Tax

British companies looking to expand their business into Northern Ireland should phone the Northern Ireland Corporate Tax Office.

Northern Ireland Corporate Tax Phone Number – 03000 599 000 or 03000 599 001